Orrell Presbyterian Church

 

The creation of the Memorial

 
ORRELL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
OPENING OF NEW MEMORIAL HALL.
     The Mayor (Mr. Harry Pennington), in opening the new memorial hall at Springwell-road Presbyterian Church, Orrell, remarked that he had unveiled many tablets in memory of the fallen heroes, but that this building was the most practical and most useful memorial of all.
     The opening ceremony took place on Saturday, under a beautiful sunny sky. The Mayor, accompanied by the Mayoress, performed the duty with grace and dignity. Having declared the building opened, a large company followed his Worship indoors. The chair was occupied by the minister (Rev. J.C. Rowlands), who was supported by the Rev. and Mrs. O.S. Symonds, Councillor and Mrs. Harris, Messrs. R. Salisbury, C. Thomas, M. Deboo, J. Salisbury, H. Owen, and the Rev. J.L. Jenkins.
     After singing "Fight the good fight," the Rev. O.S. Symonds offered a fervent prayer. The Roll of Honour was then read, seven having paid the great price.
     The Mayor expressed his pleasure at being present, although there was a great attraction that day in Liverpool, but having promised to be present he could not break his word. This statement was warmly appreciated by all. 
     In moving a vote of thanks to the Mayor, the Rev. J.L. Jenkins made a speech which thrilled the congregation. The burden of his speech was the danger of forgetting what had been done by the gallant men who died for us.
     At the close of the meeting, the Mayor and Mayoress remained to tea, which had been provided by the ladies of the church, in the Institute.
     In the evening a concert was given in the new hall by Miss Price, Mr. Bellman, Miss Robinson, and Mr. Hughes.
 

BOOTLE TIMES Friday 24 Sep 1920