Henry Gorell Barnes He was born at 80 Kensington Park Road, London on the 21st January 1882 and baptised at Holy Trinity C.of E. Church, Paddington, London on the 25th February 1882.
 
He was the eldest son of John Gorell Barnes and Mary Humpston (Mitchell). Mary was from Glasgow and his parents were married at Windsor Terrace, in that city on the 20th April 1881. Henry had two siblings, Ronald Gorell (born 1884) and Aura Ellida Gorell (born 1887).
 
His father, John, was born at Anfield Cottage, Walton in 1848. the eldest son of Henry and Georgiana Barnes who were both from Derbyshire. The ancestral home of the Barnes family was Ashgate House, Old Brampton, near Chesterfield where they were landowners and colliery proprietors. Photographs of Ashgate House can be seen at Brampton Old and New and Picture the Past.
 
Henry Barnes was a ship-owner and merchant engaged in the Australia and Brazil trade. At least three of his brothers had strong links to Liverpool. Edmund and Alfred married the Wilson sisters at Toxteth Park in 1854 before returning to Derbyshire. Charles Barnes re-located to Liverpool where he was also in the Australia trade. He lived in the Wavertree and Mossley Hill districts. Charles' grandson, Charles Roper Gorell-Barnes, (second cousin to Henry Gorell Barnes) also died in the First World War after winning the Military Cross and Distinguished Service Order
 
Henry Barnes died at Anfield Cottage in February 1865 leaving four children of school age and the equivalent of 5 million. His wife died at Matlock Bath in 1873 at which time the family were living at Oakenholme, Little Saughall near Chester and her son, John, was describing himself as a gentleman.
 
John Gorell Barnes had an extremely distinguished judicial career. He entered Peterhouse College, Cambridge the year his father died, graduating B.A. in 1868. He was admitted at the Inner Temple in 1873 and Called to the Bar in 1876.
 
At the time of the 1881 census, just a few weeks before his marriage, John, his brother Alan Sedgwick Barnes - a first-class cricketer - and sister Charlotte Linda - were living together at 80 Kensington Park Road, London.
 
In 1888 he was invested as a Queen's Counsel on the Northern Circuit, he was Knighted in 1892. He was a Judge of the High Court of Justice, Probate, Divorce and Admiralty Division, 1892-1905.
 
At the time of the 1891 census Henry Gorell Barnes was staying at a lodging house at 14 Marine Parade, Folkestone with his parents, siblings, and two servants, possibly on holiday. By 1911 the family's London home was 14 Kensington Park Gardens, where the household included seven resident servants. They also had a country residence at Stratford Hills, Stratford St.Mary, Suffolk.
 
John Gorell Barnes was created 1st Baron Gorell of Brampton, Derbyshire in 1909. He died at Mentone, France on the 22 April 1913. Probate of his estate was obtained by his wife at London. His effects were valued at 69,448 0s 4d (6.7 million at current values.)
 
His wife, Baroness Gorell, died on the 28th November 1918 at 54 Campden Hill Court, London. Probate of her estate was obtained at London by her two surviving children. Her effects were valued at 43,129 11s 1d (2.5 million at current values.)
 
Upon his father's death Henry became 2nd Baron Gorell.
 
Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery website lists his education: Summerfields. Oxford (1892-1895); Winchester College (1895-1900); Trinity College, Oxford (1900-1903); Harvard University [law] (1903-1904). He was a member of the Harvard University Cricket XI [Wisden 1918]
 
He was called to the Bar in 1906 and worked as a secretary to his father and later as secretary of the Royal Commission on Divorce. 
 
He was a pre-war Territorial and enlisted in the Royal Field Artillery on the 4th August 1914 and was almost immediately promoted to Major [London Gazette 18th August 1914]. He was posted to the front in March 1915.
 
The 47th (London) Division, 1914-1919 (pg 65-66) narrates events of the 6th September 1916,
   During the afternoon some of the batteries began to move up in support, the first being the 19th London Battery, under Major Lord Gorell, who brought his battery up into the shell-hole area immediately behind High Wood.
   Accompanied by Major Marshall, of the 18th Battery, Lord Gorell made a brilliant reconnaissance of the divisional front, and was able to report the line actually held that night by our troops, together with much other valuable information. For these distinguished services Lord Gorell was awarded the D.S.O.
 
His award of the Distinguished Service Order appeared in the London Gazette on the 14th November 1916.
Capt. (temp. Maj.) Henry Gorell Barnes, Lord Gorell, R.A.
For conspicuous gallantry in action. He pushed forward and handled his battery under very heavy fire with the greatest courage and skill. Later, he carried out a daring reconnaissance and obtained most valuable information.
 
The 47th (London) Division, 1914-1919 (pg 87) records the circumstances of his death.
   On the 15th the Division suffered a heavy loss. Major Lord Gorell, D.S.O., when returning from observing for his battery, was mortally wounded by a shell in Marshall Walk. A pre-war Territorial officer of high professional attainments, and at times almost reckless courage, his loss was universally mourned.
 
Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery website has a photograph of Henry Gorell Barnes' funeral cortege and states that "The cross of his grave was made of 'great oak beams from the cloisters of Ypres Cathedral'"
 
Probate of his estate was obtained at London on the 16th April 1917 by his brother and sister. His effects were valued at 8,060 15s 11d (almost 600,000 at current values.) His home address was 14 Kensington Park Gardens.
 
His brother Ronald Gorell Barnes became the 3rd Baron Gorell upon his death. Like his uncle, Alan Sedgwick Barnes, he was a first-class cricketer playing with the MCC for 13 seasons. He served as a Captain in the Rifle Brigade and won the Military Cross in 1917. After the war he was a Liberal politician, poet, author and newspaper editor.
 
His sister Aura Ellida did not marry and died at Clevedon, Somerset in 1945.