John Ellison was born at Bootle in 1894, the son of William Ellison and Margaret Helen (nee Jack).
His parents were married in 1890 at St.Mary’s C.of E. Church, Walton.
1901 Census - 22 Bedford Place , Bootle - Parents William and Margaret H with children James J, John and Minnie
1911 Census - 462 Hawthorne Road, Bootle - Parents William and Margaret Helen with children James Jack, John, Minnie and Lily. John junior was a chemical clerk on this census. His parents had been married 21 years with 4 children born and still alive.
His family were still living at 462 Hawthorne Road after the war.
A report on his death appeared in the Bootle Times on the 27th June 1919. His photo appeared in the report and is reproduced here with the kind permission of the Liverpool Daily Post & Echo.
    Yet another name has to be added to St.John's School roll of Honour. It is that of Corporal John Ellison, 17th (late 20th) King's Liverpool Regiment, whose age at the time of his decrease was 25 - this week he would have been 26. The youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Ellison, 462, Hawthorne-road, he attended St.John's School, and was afterwards employed by the Washington Chemical Company at Bootle. During this latter period he had been associated with Balliol-road P.S.A.
   In November, 1914, at the time of his country's greatest need, Ellison joined the 20th King's, and after a brief training at home was sent out to France in February the following year. He passed through pretty nearly the whole campaign, including the hottest parts without injury. During the later portion of the time Corporal Ellison held a responsible post in charge of the stores. In the last year of the war - on March 21, 1918 - he sustained a serious wound in the vicinity of St.Quentin. A chum who has recently returned to Bootle saw Corporal Ellison, as he then was, on his way to a dressing station. They were afterwards driven back, and that was the last seen of him. A communication received by the young non-com's parents on March 22nd intimated that he hoped to be home on leave by the week-end. But unhappily he never came. A short time later the parents received a notification that their son was reported missing, but the official intimation of the presumed death only came to hand the other day.

Bootle Times 27th June 1919