Richard Eadson Paterson were born at Dundee on the 11th October 1893, the son of Andrew Melville Paterson and Beatrice (nee Eadson) who were married at Emmanuel C.of E Church, Barlow Moor, Manchester in 1888.
 
At the time of his birth his father was Professor of Anatomy at Dundee University and, in 1891, the family were living at 41 Seafield Road, Dundee.
 
Richard had four siblings. Muriel Beatrice and John Carruthers were born at Dundee in 1889 and 1891. Two more sisters, Hilda Melville and Vera Mary, were born in 1897 and 1901 after they moved to Liverpool where his father was Professor of Anatomy at Liverpool University.
 
At the time of the 1901 census Richard's father, Andrew Paterson, was in London staying at the Royal Societies Club, St James' Street whilst his wife and children were at home at 21 Abercromby Square, Liverpool.
 
By 1911 Richard was seventeen and a graduate of the Royal Naval College at Dartmouth. At the time of the 1911 census he was visiting with his parents at Abercromby Square. His brother, John Carruthers Paterson, was at medical school in London.
 
Richard's naval records can be seen at the National Archives. He had reached the rank of Lieutenant when he was killed at the Battle of Jutland on the 31st May 1916 whilst serving aboard H.M.S. Fortune.
 
A report on his death appeared in the Liverpool Echo on the 5th June 1916. His photo appeared in the report and is reproduced here with the kind permission of the Liverpool Daily Post & Echo.
 

A Liverpool Lieutenant.

   Official notification has been received that Lieutenant Richard Eadson Paterson, of H.M.S. Fortune, younger son of Professor and Mrs. A.M. Paterson, 21, Abercromby-square, Liverpool, was killed in the naval engagement. Lieutenant Paterson, who was twenty-two years of age, had been in the Navy for ten years. After leaving Greenbank School, Liverpool, he went to the Royal Naval College at Osborne in 1906, and two years later he went to Dartmouth Naval College. In 1909 he was made a cadet captain. On the completion of his college training he joined H.M.S. Cornwall as a cadet, and was afterwards a midshipman on H.M.S. Vanguard. He was on H.M.S. Queen Mary when the war broke out, and went from there to torpedo-boat 25. His next move was to the destroyer Fortune, on which he has been killed. Lieutenant Paterson, who was a most promising officer, was home on shore leave in April last.

Liverpool Echo 5th June 1916

A similar biography appeared in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour (volume two, page 245)
 

PATERSON, RICHARD EADSON, Lieut., Royal Navy, yr.s. of Andrew Melville Paterson, M.D., Professor of Anatomy in the University of Liverpool, by his wife, Beatrice, dau. of Richard Eadson; b. Dundee, 11 Oct. 1893; educ. Greenbank School, Liverpool (1900-6); Royal Naval College, Osborne (1906-8), and Royal Naval College, Dartmouth (1908-10); was Cadet Capt., Dartmouth, 1909, and passed out of the Royal Naval College there 1910; Midshipman, 1911-14; commissioned Sub-Lieut., 1914, in H.M.S. Queen Mary; transferred to H.M. Torpedo Boat No. 25 on the declaration of war' promoted Lieut. April, 1916, and was killed in action on the morning of 1 June, 1916, at the Battle of Jutland in H.M.S. Fortune, 4th Destroyer Flotilla. Buried in the cemetery at Tonsberg, Norway; unm.

 
Probate of his estate was obtained at Liverpool on the 20th August 1921, more than five years after his death. His effects were valued at 193 6s (7,300 at current values.)
 
Richard's father Andrew Melville Paterson died of bronchopneumonia in 1919 whilst serving as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Army Medical Corps
 
His mother died in 1930 at 'Stainton', Menlove Avenue, Calderstones, Liverpool. Probate of her estate was obtained at Liverpool by her son-in-law George Cecil Mort and Edward Victor Crooks, solicitor. Her effects were valued at 41,390 4s 8d (2.2 million at current values.)
 
His sister Muriel Beatrice married William Arthur Sievwright of Edinburgh at St.Catherine's C.of E. Church, Liverpool.
 
Hilda Melville Paterson married George Cecil Mort, a doctor, at All Hallows C.of E. Church, Allerton in 1922.