S.S. Canova

 

S.S. Canova was built by D & W Henderson Ltd. of Glasgow in 1895.
 
At the time of her loss she was a defensively-armed British merchant ship operated by Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate Steam Navigation Co Ltd (Lamport & Holt Ltd.) of Liverpool.
 
On the 24th December 1917 she was en route from Bahia Blanca, Argentina to Liverpool with a cargo of wheat when, 15 miles off the coast of North Devon, she was sunk by a mine from the German submarine.
 
Seven crewmen were lost, all of whom were from Merseyside.
 
See also wrecksite and clydesite.
 
Crewmen lost
OBIT RANK FORENAME SURNAME BURIED or COMMEMORATED
view Trimmer ALFRED ANDERSON TOWER HILL MEMORIAL
view Third Engineer THOMAS WILLIAM POLE GUTHRIE TOWER HILL MEMORIAL
view Fireman EDWARD MAURICE KIRWIN TOWER HILL MEMORIAL
view Fireman DOMINICK LAVERY TOWER HILL MEMORIAL
view Greaser JAMES CHRISTOPHER MAGUIRE TOWER HILL MEMORIAL
view Chief Engineer THOMAS WICKHAM MORRISON TOWER HILL MEMORIAL
view Fireman ALEXANDER PIRIE TOWER HILL MEMORIAL